|Medicare July 2020 Updates|
2021 MAPD Certification Available Beginning June 29, 2020
It’s time to complete your Medical Mutual Medicare Advantage certification. You must complete the AHIP certification before you can access the Medical Mutual certification modules. AHIP will automatically share your certificate of completion with Medical Mutual. The Medical Mutual certification link can be found in your MyBrokerLink account under Sales & Quoting, Medicare Advantage, Training and Certification. Completion of all modules is required before you can sell Medical Mutual Medicare Advantage products for 2021. Brokers are given a $50 discount by accessing AHIP training through our Medical Mutual link.
Training Modules and Additional Resources
Modules can be downloaded from Web Courseworks upon module completion. These will be in PDF format. This year we combined the HMO and PPO product modules into one for a more streamlined product training experience. We want to remind you that the educational video plays at the end of the Dos & Don’ts: Formal Educational Events module. You must remain on the first slide of the video for at least one minute. We recommend watching the entire video, but you will have the option to stop the video and complete the module. This video is also posted on MyBrokerLink for future reference and use under Knowledge Center, Reference Materials, Medicare Advantage.
• As a reminder, Medicare Advantage clients have access to the 24-hour nurse line which can assist with any questions about COVID-19 symptoms or other health-related issues. The nurse line is available toll free for members at 1-888-912-0636.
• Medical Mutual is taking further steps to be accommodating during the COVID-19 pandemic and is implementing a temporary solution for brokers writing Medicare Advantage plans. Effective Mar. 20, 2020, agents will be permitted to send and receive scope of appointment (SOA) consent via email. This will allow you to assist your clients in a compliant way without meeting them face to face or requiring an SOA form to be printed and mailed. Please contact your account manager for email submission template and further information.
• MedMutual Advantage members who are experiencing difficulty paying premiums or out-of-pocket healthcare costs due to COVID-19 may be referred to Centauri’s PremiumAssist program. Centauri will screen members to determine if they are eligible for financial assistance with their Medicare Advantage premiums and other medical expenses through the Medicare Savings Programs (MSP), as well as any additional assistance with prescription drug costs through the Extra Help program. Centauri’s PremiumAssist program can be reached at 1-877-236-4471 (TTY 711 for hearing impaired) Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. EST
• Effective Mar. 9, 2020, Mom’s Meals is implementing contactless delivery measures for all meals provided to MedMutual Advantage members who are being discharged from the hospital. These measures were implemented to help prevent the spread of the COVID-19. Details on the Mom’s Meals COVID-19 response can be found on MomsMeals.com.
• How are you communicating with your clients during this time? If you need something to talk about, remind the Medicare members of the SilverSneakers program through Medical Mutual. During this time, Medicare members can take advantage of online tools to help them stay fit, including SilverSneakers On Demand, SilverSneakers Go, as well as live Facebook events. Members can login to access these resources through SilverSneakers.com.
|FDA Requests Removal of Ranitidine (Zantac) from Marketplace Due to Potential Elevated Cancer Risk|
|Applies to: Individual; Small Group (1-50), 51-99, 100+, MEWA; All Medicare Business|
|The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has requested the withdrawal of all forms of Ranitidine (Zantac) from the U.S. market due to a determination that the NDMA (N-Nitrosodimethylamine) in some ranitidine drug products increases to an unacceptable level over time and when stored at higher than room temperatures. NDMA is classified as a probable human carcinogen (a substance that could cause cancer) based on results from laboratory tests.
|FDA Issues Alert Regarding Possible EpiPen Auto-injector Malfunction and User Administration Error|
|Applies to: Individual; Small Group (1-50), 51-99, 100+, MEWA; All Medicare Business|
|The U.S. Food and Drug Administration issued a product alert regarding potential errors with Mylan EpiPen 0.3mg and EpiPen Jr 0.15mg auto-injectors, and the authorized generic versions. These errors could either delay or prevent emergency treatment when needed.
Medicare Advantage Electronic Scope of Appointment Now Available
|Date: March 20, 2020
Applies to: Medicare AdvantageAs we all work to adapt to the ongoing coronavirus disease known as COVID-19 changes, we are implementing new, temporary business procedures to ensure that you have what you need to continue to do business. Effective immediately, you are now able to send and receive a Scope of Appointment (SOA) via email. This will help you assist your customers, while remaining compliant, without having to meet face to face or requiring a printed SOA form.
Steps for sending an electronic SOA
As a reminder, you can also submit Medicare Supplement applications through the same online enrollment tool. Medicare Supplement applications do not require a SOA.
Still have questions?
Tuesday March 24, 2020 at 10am
Thursday March 26, 2020 at 10am
Thursday March 26, 2020 at 2pm
Contact your Account Manager
COVID-19 Coronavirus Testing Covered with No Member Cost Sharing
Applies to: All Lines of Business
To help combat the spread of COVID-19, Medical Mutual is covering all diagnostic testing for the virus, as long as it is ordered by a medical provider. We are also waiving all member cost sharing, including copays, coinsurance and deductibles for these tests.
If any self-funded group has questions or concerns with this approach or want to opt out, they should contact their Medical Mutual representative. Labor groups are required to opt-in for covering COVID-19 testing with no member cost sharing.
IRS Guidance on HSAs and COVID-19 Testing and Treatment
The IRS issued guidance on March 11, 2020, allowing pre-deductible coverage of testing for and treatment of COVID-19, as determined by the health plan. This applies to high-deductible health plans (HDHP) with health savings accounts (HSA). This means that Medical Mutual’s HDHPs with HSAs can cover COVID-19 testing and treatment without member cost sharing.
Business Continuity Assurance
Medical Mutual has a business continuity plan in place that covers a variety of incidents, including illness outbreak. Should the situation with COVID-19 warrant, we are prepared to initiate that plan for all our offices. We are confident Medical Mutual can continue to serve our members regardless of where our people are physically located.
Credible COVID-19 Resources
We are working with and will follow all guidelines issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, the US Food and Drug Administration, the Ohio Department of Health (ODH) and other state and local public health departments in supporting our members’ needs. We encourage our customers to seek information from the following sources:
Important information for Medical Mutual members about COVID-19 and our response is available at MedMutual.com/Coronavirus.
Medical Mutual of Ohio has provided some February updates and info for our brokers. Please see below:
- SilverSneakers recently updated their College Save program; the new program is called SAGE Scholars Tuition Rewards. Members will be required to create new accounts for this program, however, all previously earned points will carry over. For more details about the program update, click here.
- Effective Feb. 1, 2020, the EyeMed network will no longer include Sears Optical, JCPenney and Stanton Optical. All Medicare Advantage members and Medicare Supplement members enrolled in the MedMutual Supplement Plus product are impacted. To review a list of alternative EyeMed provider locations, click here.
- We mailed out all Medicare Advantage Member Kits to new and existing members on Jan. 20, 2020. All Member Kit brochures include personalized benefit information based on the member’s plan type. To view the kit, click here.
- Medicare Advantage members and Medicare Supplement members with Supplement Plus coverage received an email notification about the new SuperDental network. This email was sent in error. The dental network for Medicare members is not changing in 2020 and remains the DenteMax network. We sent an apology email to the impacted members.
If you have any questions reach out to your Cornerstone Senior Marketing rep.
Medicare Updates from Medical Mutual of Ohio:
- Medicare Advantage members can expect their ID cards to arrive by Jan. 1, 2020. The Welcome Kit will be delivered in the middle of January 2020.
- As a reminder, MMO’s Medicare Advantage plans now offer a transportation benefit. If your clients have inpatient hospital stays, they automatically qualify for this service. To review the details of this benefit, click here.
- To expedite the processing of Medicare Supplement applications, please submit them online. The online application is the only system that will give you access to tracking. To submit a Medicare Supplement application, follow the steps below:
- Go to MyBrokerLink and log in.
- Click on the Sales and Quoting tab and select Quote/Enroll Medicare.
- Click on the Start New Medicare Application button.
If you have any questions, reach out to your Cornerstone Senior Marketing representative.