Initial Enrollment Periods & Other New-To-Medicare Situations
- I’m new to Medicare.
- I already have Hospital (Part A) and recently signed-up for Medical (Part B). I want to join a Medicare Advantage Plan.
- I’m new to Medicare, and I was notified about getting Medicare after my Part A and/or Part B coverage started.
- I had Medicare prior to now, but I’m now turning 65.
Special Enrollment Period
- I’m in a Medicare Advantage Plan and have had Medicare for less than 3 months. I want to make a change.
- I moved to a new address that’s outside my current plan’s service area, or I recently moved and this plan is a new option for me.
- I moved back to the U.S. after living outside the country.
- I was released from jail.
- I recently got lawfully presence status in the U.S.
- I live in a long-term care facility, like a nursing home or rehabilitation hospital.
- I recently moved out of a long-term care facility, like a nursing home or rehabilitation hospital.
You Lose Or Have A Change In Your Current Coverage
- I left coverage from my employer or union (including COBRA coverage).
- I lost other, non-Medicare drug coverage that’s as good as Medicare drug coverage (credible coverage), or my other, non-Medicare coverage changed and is no longer considered credible.
- I lost my coverage because Medicare ended its contract with my plan. I got a letter from Medicare saying I could join another plan.
- I dropped my coverage in a PACE (Programs of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly) plan.
- I lost my Special Needs Plan because I no longer have a condition required for that plan.
- I lost my coverage because my plan no longer covers the area that I live or it ended its contract with Medicare.
- I recently had a change in my Medicaid (newly got Medicaid, had a change in my level of Medicaid, or lost Medicaid).
- I recently had a change in my Extra Help paying for my drug costs (newly got Extra Help, had a change in my level of Extra Help, or lost Extra Help).
- I was enrolled in a plan by Medicare (or my state) and I want to choose a different plan.
- I’m in a State Pharmaceutical Assistance Program, or I’m losing help from a State Pharmaceutical Assistance Program.
Other Special Situations
- I dropped a Medicare Supplement Insurance (Medigap) policy when I first joined a Medicare Advantage Plan. It’s been less than 12 months since I left my Medigap policy. I want to switch to Original Medicare so I can go back to my Medigap policy, and I’m joining a Drug Plan (Part D)
- I was affected by an emergency or a major disaster (as declared by the Federal Emergency Management Agency, or by Federal, my state, or my local government). One of the other statements on this page applied to me, but I was unable to make my request because of the disaster.
- I’m in a plan that was recently taken over by the state because of financial issues. I want to switch to another plan.
- I’m in a plan that’s had a star rating of less than 3 stars for the last 3 years. I want to join a plan with a star rating of 3 stars or higher.
- I am enrolling in a 5-star Medicare plan.
- I requested Medicare information in an accessible format. I got less time to make my decision, or I didn’t get it in time to make a choice before my enrollment period ended.
- I lost my Medicare Advantage Plan with drug coverage because I lost Medical (Part B) coverage. I want to join a Medicare drug plan.
- I dropped my Cost Plan with drug coverage and switched to Original Medicare. I want to join a Medicare drug plan.
- I live in or (within the past 2 months) moved out of a long-term care facility, like a nursing home or rehabilitation hospital. I want to join a Medicare drug plan.